Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Foodie on the road

On Saturday I made one of those rare, beautiful stops at Elmo's in Carrboro, on the way out of town. It was a beautiful, sunny morning, and the wait was only about 20 minutes -- not bad for a Saturday at Elmo's.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of ordering the cheese grits. I've gotten them before, and they aren't bad -- they just don't have the magic of, say, the sweet potato pancakes that I always eye but rarely get. Perhaps it's because they aren't the creamy magnificence of the grits at Bogart's, which likely have about 3,000 calories. So I suppose I should thank Elmo's for the slightly blander-but-healthier version of the Southern classic, non?

At least I had a biscuit. It was bliss: big and fluffy, toasted and buttered. It made me wish I had ordered the biscuits and gravy (plus the two dozen sides that come with). Regardless, I will never not have an excuse to visit Elmo's. I will defy spiking gas prices to get my fix, and cross my fingers that Elmo's opens a diner in Raleigh.*

Also, breakfast for two for $13. Who can beat that?**

____



*As much as I love Elmo's, I have to admit that the crunchy-granola vibe would be desperately out of place in a vaguely soulless Raleigh. *sigh*

** A rhetorical question. Fast-food breakfast deserves its own entry (or 10).

No comments: