Thursday, May 1, 2008

A day in the life...

Sometimes, I think I think about food too much.

I think about my next meal just after finishing my last meal. Sooner, sometimes. I wake up thinking about dinner. I leave work thinking about Tater Tots. I get distracted at my desk by the thought of a Charburger from Char-Grill, with chopped onions and catsup that's slightly warm. I consider swinging by Harris Teeter just to sample the deli ham and whatever cheese resides in their little sample receptacles with a spray of toothpicks nearby. I wonder which grocery butchers are carrying lamb.

I'm not a food snob. I'll admit that I love my wine and cheese, and I will carry on a one-way conversation with Lynne Rossetto Kasper while listening to "The Splendid Table" in the car. I own "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" but, sadly, have only executed one recipe from it. I'm definitely not a food snob.

So where does that leave me, a food-obsessed resident of the Triangle?

I'll tell you: with a blog. A Blogger blog, no less -- just to show you what a low-rent exhibitionist I am.

I will use this space to talk about restaurants, grocery stores and food in general. I live in Raleigh and eat mostly at Raleigh restaurants. No disrespect to Durham and Chapel Hill: The eats there are just great. Blame it on the gas prices, if you will. Hate driving, love food. Will write, won't travel. With occasional -- and deserving -- exceptions. I am an Elmo's junkie. I only get my fix every few months. The rest of the time, breakfast comes from my own kitchen, or Courtney's, or occasionally NoFo or Big Ed's.

Stay tuned, and I'll tell you exactly what I think about all of them.

No comments: