Friday, May 16, 2008

Food capsules

I decided I had better write about these two before they become staler than a two-week-old box of Wheat Thins. I will be brief.

Enoteca Vin: Not entirely worth the hype. Small and crowded with harried service. It doesn't appear there's a designated bartender, and when a place has "wine" in the title, that can be a problem. The deviled eggs were good. The aperitif was good. The creative mixed drinks were marvelous; the wine just OK. The entree I got -- a citrusy salmon -- was just meh. I keep forgetting that I've only enjoyed salmon once or twice in my life. This was not one of those times. The panna cotta was pleasingly vanilla. The surprise of the night was the sorbet: cucumber, pineapple and jalapeno. Better than it sounds. Awesome, in fact.

Ruth's Chris: This place, I'm beginning to see, is dependable in a hometown diner kinda way. You'll get what you what, know what to expect, and enjoy it similarly every time. It's nice in a way and kind of a pain in another way: For those prices, can't they mix it up every once in a while? Anyways, I enjoyed a few appropriately strong drinks. The filet was done to my specifications, the accompanying shrimp large and well-seasoned. The best part of the meal: the calamari. Every other time I've had it, it has been greasy and rubbery, and I've applauded myself only for stepping out of my comfort zone. This time it was light and fresh, with only a whisper of breading. Unfortunately, I had to share it with my party o' 10.

No comments: