Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thai me up, Thai me down

On Friday I visited Champa Thai, one of downtown Raleigh's newest lunch spots, at the intersection of Salisbury and Martin streets. It's a great location, but apparently China Market didn't fare too well. It's a shame -- such proximity to downtown employers is a terrible thing to waste, from a marketing standpoint.

Champa clearly decided to break the quickie lunch mold. There is no counter, and thus no lines. But there also is no hostess stand: That was a tiny bit confusing, for about 10 seconds. The whole of the restaurant is a relatively compact space filled with tables, with a small lounge-y space in the back for those waiting for takeout. The flat-screen TV isn't the first I've seen in a Thai restaurant, surprisingly. But the sofas are.

Service was quick and friendly. The server even offered to put tofu in my pad thai, even though it's not a menu option. The downside was that it was silken tofu, so it wasn't the best, texturally. But I'm willing to overlook it on the basis that the pad thai itself was wonderful: very spicy, per request, with a generous serving of crushed peanuts on the side and plenty of broccoli and cauliflower roasted crisp-tender.

Granted, it's tough to judge an eatery solely on the basis of one pad thai. Let's just say I'm easy to please in the Thai department. Next time I'll venture out on a Southeast Asian limb and get thom ka or thom yum, or whatever monosyllabic delicacies strike my fancy that day. Till then, I'm pleased enough.

No comments: