Monday, June 30, 2008

The joy of cooking...




... is finding a way to make something incredibly delicious without fat.

Yesterday, I made cranberry walnut bread from my trusty red-and-white-checked Better Homes & Gardens. Of all the bread recipes out there, it wasn't the worst -- only a quarter of a cup of oil and one egg. But I was feeling bold. How bold? Well, let's just say I substituted out both items.

But how? you may wonder. Well, I took a few bits of accumulated knowledge about vegan and healthy cooking and put them together, one plus one.

One. Grind up a tablespoon of flaxseed and add it to the liquid in place of the egg.

Plus.

One. Substitute applesauce for oil.

Equals.

A delicious, moist loaf of bread that benefited especially from the bag of cranberries I had the foresight to freeze in November. The fruit froze well. The substitutions took NOTHING away from the end product. And now I'll head off to yoga with a clean conscience.

No comments: